White Castle is located deep in Wale's border country, today in a tranquil setting, but in medieval times hotly disputed territory. Along with nearby Skenfrith and Grosmont, it was one of three castles built to control a strategic entry point into Wales.
It's name refers to its original colour of white plastered masonry, patches of which can still be seen.
Originally an eartwork, it was rebuilt in stone in the late 12th and 13th centuries. It was granted to Herbert De Burgh by King John in 1201. It has a large and now grassy outer ward, enclosed by walls and towers, but the heart of the castle lies within a well preserved inner ward with its powerful round towers and high curtain walls, encircled by a deep moat.
Pictured above is the gatehouse to the inner ward and to the right is the small twin towered gatehouse of the outer ward.
Pictured left is the inner ward. remains of the well and foundations of the buildings such as the chapel, hall, and kitchen can be clearly seen
Visitors enter the castle's inner ward over this wooden bridge spanning the deeply filled moat gives you some idea the problems the attackers would have had trying to storm the defences to the inner ward.