Ogmore castle was begun as an earth and timber stronghold soon after 1100 during the Norman conquest of Glamorgan.
The now ruined keep was added later in the same century.
Early in the 13th century, a curtain wall replaced the timber defences.
The other buildings date from around this time.
The castle is situated on the banks of the Ewenny River. There is a small car park,there are no other facilities, but it is a pleasant spot for a picnic, and there is a nice pub calle the "Pelican" just across the road if you fancy a meal and a pint or two.
The castle is only a short distance from the beach at Ogmore-by-Sea. An all year Dog Friendly Beach
This excellent aerial view of the castle below is by kind permission of Iain Coulson
The castle can also be accessed from the village of Merthyr Mawr via 52 stepping-stones that lead across the ford of the Ewenny and Ogmore rivers. Local legend has it that they were laid for a love-sick girl who lived in the castle. Her lover lived across the river, and their meetings were impeded by tides and floods. Apparently the stones served their purpose - the lovers married in 1233.