Bronllys Castle

 

Bronllys castle is a motte and bailey fortress standing just outside of Talgarth. The castle was founded in or soon after 1144 when the district was granted to Walter de Clifford by Roger Fitzmiles, 2nd Earl of Hereford. Walter seems to have been responsible for building the round tower on the motte for in 1165 it caught fire and a stone tumbling from the battlements killed Earl Roger's last surviving brother Mahel de Hereford. In September 1233 Walter III de Clifford had a force of over 200 men here defending the castle against his father-in-law Llywelyn ab Iorwerth. The castle passed from the Cliffords to the Giffards and eventually the de Bohun Earls of Hereford.

 

 

At present you can only see Bronllys Castle from the outside, as it is not safe to go inside.

It consists of a 80ft keep standing on a large mound hidden amongst trees just North of the small village of Talgarth.

It was first fortified by Richard Fitz Pons of Clifford (Herefordshire) soon after the the Norman conquest of Brycheiniog.

The tower was probably built by his descendant Walter De Clifford (1221-1263) and was modified by subsequent owners (So it says on the plaque at the entrance) It was last fortified by Owain Glyndwr but by 1521 it was "beyond repair" It is now owned by C.A.D.W. (Welsh Historic Monuments).

There is a "pet friendly" caravan park nearby at

                  Anchorage Caravan Park

                   Bronllys Near Brecon

                      01874 711246

 

 

Location bronllys castle marble_gold castle-back